Canada West Veterinary Specialists is an exciting multi-disciplinary specialty referral practice with a dedicated 24-hour ERCC service. We hold a unique designation as one of the only verified Veterinary Trauma Centers in Western Canada, designated per the Veterinary Committee on Trauma (VetCOT). We have 7 specialty departments, including Oncology, Neurology, Diagnostic Imaging, Surgery, Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology, with added services including Rehabilitation Therapy and an in-house lab.
With a team of over 160 staff members, we are a group of dedicated and diverse individuals passionate about working together to provide the best patient care and highest client satisfaction.
JOIN US? At Canada West, you can look forward to continuous learning, unique cases within a highly dynamic, specialty environment, and growth through Canada West’s very own development program. This program allows our technicians to excel through 5 different levels, and personalized training programs in both sedation and general anesthesia.
- We grow together with our monthly in-house Continuing Education presentations
- Subsidized extended health benefits
- 5 paid sick days per year
- Uniform allowance per year
- Wellness Spending account per year
- We provide employer paid Pet insurance that insures up to 2 pets
- Rewards and recognition program to recognize our staff’s hard work and contributions to our success
- We believe in your well-being and provide a company sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) enabling access to caring professionals that can help access support related to fitness, physical health and mental well-being programs
- We have fun together with our hospital sponsored social events like; having Food Trucks visit us onsite, Halloween pumpkin carving contests, Annual Christmas Party, Pub Nights, etc.
Schedule A – Job Description
Position: Veterinary Technologist
Department: Emergency and Critical Care
Reports to: Technician Supervisor
This position is primarily responsible for providing support to Emergency Physicians and for the care of emergency patients. This includes taking radiographs, following treatment plans, administering drugs, monitoring vital signs, and over-all patient assessment. Communication with referring DVM’s, CWVS Specialists and clients is an integral part of the role. All duties are conducted under the direct supervision of CWVS ER Doctors and Specialists.
When there are no emergencies, this position supports both the ICU and Wards Departments in the management of patient care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with admission of patients through the Emergency Service, including initial patient triage on presentation
- Assists with initial diagnostics, and performs technical nursing skills such as: IV catheter placement, blood collection, urine collection (cystocentesis, catheterization), taking radiographs, etc.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medication at the direction of the Criticalist or Doctor on the case
- Ensures that while monitoring patient status, any changes, updates or concerns are reported to the Criticalist or Doctor
- Ensures that procedures, materials, treatments etc. are accurately documented on computerized software in advance of daily invoicing
- Communicates with clients regarding nursing updates, as required or as directed by the Doctor
- Documents all patient information, while on shift, including patient history and status, and ensures that this information is transmitted adequately and in a time-sensitive manner at shift change during oral rounds
- Keeps the Emergency area clean, stocked and organized appropriately
- Trains/mentors new Technicians and Assistants
- Assists with the sedation of non-ECC patients and provides anesthesia support as needed, once internal further training is obtained
- As a member of the overall CWVS team, you may be required to assist in other areas of the hospital when your service is not in need of you, or if the doctor on the service is away. This could involve working any shift within the twenty-four-hour operating day of the hospital including weekends and holidays
- When not involved in emergency cases, assists in the Wards and ICU departments
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough understanding of all common drugs/medications used in the Emergency department and ICU, procedures and protocols within the ER, as well as the ability to use all equipment safely and effectively
- Knowledge of hospital guidelines and protocols
- Knowledge of common critical disease processes and injuries
- Ability triage effectively and establish priorities within the Emergency service
- Ability to respond effectively and appropriately to stressful situations and individuals.
- Ability to remain calm in emergencies
- Ability to quickly recognize change in patient status
- Ability to lead, mentor, and teach
- Demonstrated computer skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of professionalism
- Strong desire to learn and excel within the profession.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- VTS (ECC) designation preferred or desire to become specialized
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility within the ERCC, ICU and Wards
Our technicians typically work 4 days a week, 10-hour shifts, but may be scheduled to work 5 days a week, 8-hour shifts in accordance with hospital need.
- 07:00 – 17:30
- 10:00 – 22:30
- 12:00 – 20:30
- 14:00 – 22:30
An ideal candidate will have the flexibility for overtime, on call shifts, and a rotating schedule, based on hospital needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Canada West Veterinary Specialists, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $27.00-$36.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- 10 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person