ISANS is seeking a full-time Manager, Communications to tell ISANS’ story, internally and externally. ISANS’ mission is to help immigrants build a future in Nova Scotia. The Communications team plays an important role in raising internal and external awareness of programs and services and ensuring effective internal and external communications for strong engagement.
In this role, which is part of ISANS’ Leadership team, the Manager will be responsible for supervising and managing the activities of ISANS’ Communications team. The Manager of Communications leads the planning, development and implementation of the organization's internal and external communications and public relations activities, working with other members of ISANS and the members of the Communications team.
The Manager will keep up to date on communication trends inside and outside the sector and ISANS’ staff, client and program needs. By doing so, the Manager will support ISANS’ goals strategically and operationally in an innovative and sustainable way.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of ISANS, this position is responsible for:
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintain, evaluate and update external communication strategies and programs designed to inform clients, potential clients, partners and the general public of initiatives of the organization
· Build and maintain relationships with program managers, supervisors and staff to develop a comprehensive understanding of client needs and ISANS’ programs and services
· Advise and support program managers with programs’ communications needs such as ensuring funding proposals recognize communications requirements, implementing of strategies, and developing communications for evaluations
· Responsible to develop and coordinate methods to seek input from ISANS' internal and external stakeholders to help gauge the relevance and quality of our programs and services
· Ensure the Senior Leadership Team and other managers are informed of recent developments in Nova Scotia and Canada by conducting media scans on existing and emerging issues in the immigration and settlement sector
· Maintain, evaluate and update internal communication strategies and programs designed to inform employees of initiatives of the organization
· Responsible for all aspects of internal communication ensuring that a variety of appropriate methods are utilized to reach a diverse employee team working across multiple worksites including from the office, the community, clients’ homes and remotely
· Partner with other internal support teams such as People and Culture, IT and Finance to ensure strong communication of internal culture, staff recognition, policies and procedures in support of team member engagement and development
· Develop, implement and evaluate a client outreach strategy to attract immigrants currently not linked to ISANS programs and services
· Develop, implement and evaluate an integrated strategy and communications plan to broaden the awareness of ISANS programs and services and issues impacting immigrants through consultation with the CEO and senior leadership
· Maintain, evaluate and update the public relations strategy to cultivate and enhance positive relationships with targeted audiences including the media, public officials and other key influencers
· Build media partnerships to further the objectives of the organization
· Oversee the maintenance, evaluation and improvement of electronic communications including ISANS website, newsletters and other electronic and social media communications
· Collaborate with associations, communities, employers and other service providers to communicate key messages that further the objectives of the organization
Manage Communications Team
· Establish procedures and processes to meet the objectives of the Communications Teams programs and services
· Hire, supervise and support Communications Team members (including volunteers as necessary)
· Monitor, evaluate and provide recommendations regarding human resource and contractor needs
· Identify and coordinate professional development opportunities for the Communications Team
- Performing other duties as required
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following:
- Bachelors Degree and/or professional qualification applicable to the position (e.g. Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or Business.).
· 5-7 years of progressive work experience with supervisory experience in a dynamic, fast-paced environment required
· Experience providing a broad range of communication/public relations services, preferably in a mid-size, complex organization
· Experience in a multi-service, client focused environment, ideally in the non-profit sector serving immigrants
· Project management experience, including cross-team or organization-wide projects
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills, including facilitation and presentation abilities
· Exceptional ability to write press releases and other media content, making presentations and negotiating with media
· Comfort in working in a digital environment with the added responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology
· Awareness of and commitment to plain language communication
- Experience in overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
- Skilled in building and maintaining partnerships and collaborations internally and with community partners
- Strong skills in evaluation and/or results/impact reporting with inclusive and holistic programs, projects and initiatives
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion with a working knowledge of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism, anti-oppression, trauma-informed practices, empowerment approach, and adult-education principles
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse team for continuous improvement
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Sound professional judgment and problem-solving skills in complex situations
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to adapt leadership style accordingly
- Proficient with Microsoft 360 applications, Adobe Creative and WordPress
ISANS Core Competencies
Cultural Competency; Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
- Embracing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization
- Working collaboratively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives
- Continually seeking new knowledge and skills, as well as developing existing capabilities
- Introducing new ways of looking at problems and developing useful ideas that are new, better, or unique
- Holding self and others responsible and accountable to being transparent and principled in our approach and to meeting commitments
- Actively encouraging an environment of fairness, honesty and integrity for all
Terms of Employment:
- Indefinite- term contract
- Full-time 35 hours per week
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, your work location may be at ISANS’ office or at home. Work location will be determined by operational requirements, public health recommendations, and government requirements.
Commencement Date: ASAP
Closing Date: Monday September 25, 2023 – 4 p.m.
To apply: Please e-mail your resume and cover letter merged into one document, stating the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
ISANS is dedicated to inclusiveness, equity, and accessibility. We are seeking talented individuals to join our team and welcome applications from all diverse groups. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter and request any accommodation required to support them during the recruitment process.
Only those eligible to work in Canada will be considered for this position.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position.
However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $70,281.61-$80,592.68 per year
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Halifax, NS B3L 4P1
Application deadline: 2023-09-25